Journal: Switzerland - August 2018
Our day by day itinerary, in case you were wondering:
- Fly to Zurich. Take train to Buchs. Drive around Liechtenstein. Stay overnight with Martin and Nadine in Buchs.
- Travel by car to Morteratsch. Hike over the Morteratsch glacier and stay in a cabin overlooking the glacier.
- Day hike up to higher elevations then hike out to Diavolezza and drive to our hotel in St. Moritz in the Endagin region. Overnight in St. Moritz.
- Mountain biking in Engadin. Stay overnight in St. Moritz.
- Take the Glacier Express train to Zermatt. Note: The views from this train in the summer were not particularly outstanding compared to what we saw while hiking, driving, or taking other trains, and it makes a lot of stops. Because it was technically a scenic train we had to wait for commuter trains at tunnels, so it felt like it was really slow and took a long time, and wasn't nearly as relaxing as I expected because there were constantly tour groups getting on and off the train. It might be worthwhile during a different time of year, but I'd skip the Glacier Express in favor of the regular commuter route in the summer. Stay overnight in Zermatt.
- A day of exploring Zermatt, hiking in the surrounding area, and trying to spy the Matterhorn through the clouds. Stay overnight in Zermatt.
- Train and cable car to Murren, Lauterbrunnen where we explored the town, stared at mountains, spied the Eiger, and stayed overnight.
- Return to Zurich. Dinner in the city and stay overnight.
- Breakfast at our hotel in Zurich then fly home the last day.
Posted in Trip Reports, International Travel and tagged Switzerland, Swiss alps, mountain biking, hiking, trekking, climbing, alpinism, glacier, mountains, Matterhorn, Eiger.